One of my most favorite sandwiches was the Reuben. I haven’t had one in a long time, and I’ve been craving one big time! Now that I eat low carb, I will have to do without the rye bread, but I’m sure I can manage. I will eat a hamburger or a hot dog without the bun. It’s not as much fun, but it satisfies my craving.
Then, I thought, why not make the Reuben into a casserole? So, I searched the Web and found a few variations. After finding one that I liked, I tweaked it a bit and came up with the following recipe. I hope you enjoy it!
I had every intention of cooking corned beef from scratch for this recipe. But, I just made one last month for St. Patrick’s Day and I really didn’t feel like cooking another corned beef brisket. Besides, Boars Head corned beef from the deli is delicious, easier, and sliced just the way I like it. I can never seem to slice my own corned beef thin enough.
Low Carb Reuben Casserole
- 1 lb thinly sliced deli corned beef (I used Boar’s Head)
- 6 oz. Swiss cheese, shredded
- 16 oz. sauerkraut (I used Boar’s Head in a 16-oz. bag by the deli)
- 1/2 cup low carb thousand island dressing (See recipe below)
- 1/2 tsp Caraway seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In an 8″ x 8″ casserole dish sprayed with PAM, layer thin slices of corned beef (I kind of scrunched them up accordion style, so it’s not just a slab of corned beef.
- Place sauerkraut in a strainer and rinse under cold water, then press out excess water. Spread loosely and evenly over corned beef.
- Top with Swiss cheese and sprinkle with Caraway seeds.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- While dish is baking, in separate bowl mix thousand island dressing. I prefer making my own, but you could also try a low carb alternative, such as Walden Farms Thousand Island Dressing, which has zero carbs.
- Remove casserole dish from oven, slice in 4 serving-size squares and top each serving with 2 tablespoons of dressing.
Whole Recipe – Four 4″ squares (includes 1000 Island Dressing)
Calories: 1707, Carbs: 8.6g, Fiber: 1g, Net carbs: 6.96, Protein: 160.88g, Fat: 103.2g, Sodium: 8027.2mg
One serving – 4″ square
Calories: 426.75, Carbs: 2.15g, Fiber: .25g, Net carbs: 1.74g, Protein: 40.22g, Fat: 25.8g, Sodium: 2006.8mg
This recipe was inspired by http://www.food.com/recipe/low-carb-reuben-casserole-116151
Homemade Low Carb Thousand Island Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup reduced sugar ketchup
- 1/4 cup dill relish
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
1 Tbsp Low Carb 1000 Island Dressing
Calories: 41.5, Carbs: .4g, Fiber: .03g, Net carbs: .32g, Protein: .11g, Fat: 4.4g, Sodium: 125.9mg
Eventually, I did find a Fresco Flat Bread recipe that made a great Reuben sandwich. I made up a batch, cut it into squares and kept it in the refrigerator. It can easily be toasted or grilled in a skillet. Here is the recipe written by Thor Bakerat: http://t2dcoaching.com/submitted-recipes/2014/9/29/fresco-flat-bread