I love cauliflower, especially since I went Low Carb. It is the perfect substitute for pasta, potatoes and rice. No, it doesn’t taste the same, but it is a great alternative to the “real thing”, especially when you consider the difference in carbohydrates. For me, it’s a no-brainer because I can no longer eat high-carb foods. Not that I ever could, but now that I see the damage that high blood sugar can do, I take it much more seriously. Still, it’s nice to be able to enjoy “white” veggies without any guilt. And believe me, this dish is one of my non-guilty pleasures.
Mashed Cauliflower with White Cheddar & Chives
- 1 Head of cauliflower
- 1/4 cup heavy cream*
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 4 oz white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
* May substitute sour cream for heavy cream
- Clean and trim the cauliflower, breaking it into small florets.
- Boil for 10 minutes, or steam in microwave for 6 minutes, until soft. You should be able to mash with a fork.
- Place in large bowl with butter and cream.
- Using a potato masher, mash until desired consistency. I like a chunkier mashed cauliflower, but you could use an electric mixer if you like it smoother.
- Add white cheddar cheese, and chives. I usually grate cheese right over the bowl. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
For more of my low carb side dishes, such as Cauliflower Mac & Cheese, Cauliflower Pork Fried Rice, and Fresh Green Beans with Bacon, check out http://carbsmatter.com/category/whats-cooking/low-carb-side-dishes/